Video – Advent: Song of Mary – CONF 459
Fr. Mahan on the Canticle of Mary called the Magnificat and how this song helps us to prepare for Advent and Christmas. It is the song that Mary sings (Luke 1:46-55) when Elizabeth tells her the infant John the Baptist leaped in her womb when he heard Mary's voice. The Holy Spirit filled Elizabeth and
on he is given back his voice after his son John the Baptist is born in his old age.
Canticle of Mary: http://www.usccb.org/bible/luke#50001045
- “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
- For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed. - Mary bridges all the Generations because she is the Mother of the Savior for all.
- The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. - Lord's prayer: Hallowed be thy name
- His mercy is from age to age to those who fear him. - God shows his mercy to all generations. Divine Mercy devotion is for our times via St Faustina and Pope John Paul II
- He has shown might with his arm, dispersed the arrogant of mind and heart. He has thrown down the rulers from their thrones, but lifted up the lowly.
- The hungry he has filled with good things; the rich he has sent away empty. - Rich and poor a common theme in St. Luke, Widow's mite Lk 21:1-4, The rich fool Lk 12:16-21, Lazarus and the rich man Lk 16:19-31, Prodigal Son Lk 15:11-32, Jesus born in a stable Lk 2, and is condemned and crucified Lk 21-23. Mary is at the Cross and makes the suffering bearable
- He has helped Israel his servant, remembering his mercy, according to his promise to our fathers, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.” God's Promise to Abraham was to have countless children signifying the mercy that God has for all.
- St. Luke as a doctor has more accounts of Jesus' healing miracles and ministry. As well as food and meals. Road to Emmaus, breaking of the bread, Eucharist, leading to the everlasting banquet
This is the third talk of Fr. Mahan for the Advent Day of Reflection "Entering into the Mystery of the Incarnation with St. Luke" by reflecting on the three Gospel Canticles all found in the Gospel of Luke which itself provides so many details on the coming of Christ and His early life. As such, they provide a great preparation for Advent and Christmas. The day of reflection took place at the Mother of Redeemer Retreat Center in Bloomington, IN, on December 1, 2018.
Mother of Redeemer Retreat Center in Bloomington, IN: http://www.maryschildren.com/
For all the talks from this day of reflection: https://airmaria.com/tag/advent-day-of-reflection-2018/
Fr Mahan is pastor of St John the Evangelist in Bloomington, IN and St. Jude the Apostle in Spencer, IN
Also on YouTube: https://youtu.be/KRp_FXWzmtc