Advent: Song of Simeon – Dec 01 – Homily – Fr Mahan
Fr Mahan gives the homily at Bloomington, IN on Dec 01 on the Canticle of Simeon called the Nunc Dimittis and how this song helps us to prepare for Advent and Christmas. It is the song that Simeon sings (Luke 2:29-32) when Jesus is presented in the Temple, fulfilling the promise from God that he would not pass away in his old age before seeing the Messiah. As such, it is very fitting talk on the end of the old liturgical season and the beginning of the new season starting with Advent.
Canticle of Simeone: http://www.usccb.org/bible/luke/2#50002028
- Now, Master, you may let your servant go in peace, according to your word - We should be always vigilant for the coming of Christ, primarily the coming of the end of our life when we finally meet Christ and how this relates to receiving Christ in the Eucharist and sing our own canticle.
- for my eyes have seen your salvation,
- which you prepared in sight of all the peoples,
- a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
- and glory for your people Israel.
Mass: Saturday in the 34th Week in Ordinary Time - Wkdy
1st: rev 22:1-7
Resp: psa 95:1-2, 3-5, 6-7 0
Gsp: luk 21:34-36
More on the Readings: https://airmaria.com/r?m=1008
This homily is the second talk of Fr. Mahan for the Advent Day of Reflection "Entering into the Mystery of the Incarnation with St. Luke" by reflecting on the three Gospel Canticles all found in the Gospel of Luke which itself provides so many details on the coming of Christ and His early life. As such, they provide a great preparation for Advent and Christmas. The day of reflection took place at the Mother of Redeemer Retreat Center in Bloomington, IN, on December 1, 2018.
Mother of Redeemer Retreat Center in Bloomington, IN: http://www.maryschildren.com/
For all the talks from this day of reflection: https://airmaria.com/tag/advent-day-of-reflection-2018/
Fr Mahan is pastor of St. John the Evangelist in Bloomington, IN and St. Jude the Apostle in Spencer, IN
Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/90378558559/videos/264923574149833
and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxo-SV8XHwc