Fr. Fessio – Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith Document
Loading the player...
This second to last part of our series by Fr. Joseph Fessio, S.J., on recent Vatican documents covers the document issued July 9th, two days after the Motu Proprio, by the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith entitled "Responses to some Questions Regarding Certain Aspects of the Document on the Church" i.e. Lumen Gentium
This document was issued by the Congregation to clarify some points of confusion since the close of the Second Vatican Council.
Questions addressed in this talk are:
- Did the Second Vatican Council change the Catholic Doctrine on the Church?"
- What is the meaning of the word 'subsists' in the statement the "Church ... subsists in the Catholic Church" LG 8
- Why the word subsist was used instead of 'is'.
- Why does the council use the word 'churches' for the separated Eastern Orthodox?
- Why does the Council not use the word Church for the Protestant communities?
In answer to the first question Fr. Fessio quotes Pope Paul VI, who after the Council says, "What Christ willed, we also will. What was, still is. What the Church has taught down the centuries, we also teach."