Video – Fr. Elias Mary – Homily: The Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi
Loading the player...
Today the Franciscans of the Immaculate celebrate the dedication of the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi:
Pope Gregory IX laid the first stone of the Lower Basilica the day after the canonisation of St Francis, on July 17th 1228. Two years later the saint's body, that had been resting in the church of San Giorgio (the future church of St Claire's) was brought here in secret for fear of looting by tomb raiders and buried in the unfinished church.
[Click here for link to the Basilica in Assisi.]