Advent: ‘Tis the Season to Be Marian – Dec 02 – Homily – Fr Josemaria
In the homily for Monday of the First Week of Advent (Dec 2, 2019), Fr. Josemaria reflects on the Marian dimension of Advent, with references to statements from Pope Francis and Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI. As we prepare for Christ's coming (adventus), anticipating the joyful celebration of "Christmas past," let us also embrace the hope and joy of "Christmas future" -- Our Lord's Second Coming in glory, with the eternal beatitude of the saints. In this as in all reflections on Christ Jesus, our best guide is Mary, who prepares us for the coming of Her Son. Let us be Marian this advent, that She may lead us all to a very Marian Christmas.
Mass: Monday in the 1st Week in Advent - Wkdy
1st: Is 4:2-6
Resp: Ps 122:1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9
Gsp: Mt 8:5-11
More on the Readings: http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/120219.cfm
References for further reading and meditation:
- Pope Francis, Lumen fidei, 9: "Memoria Futuri” - Remembrance of the Future (http://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20130629_enciclica-lumen-fidei.html)
- Joseph Ratzinger, Mary: The Church at the Source: "In the Church’s liturgy, Advent is a Marian season. It is the season in which Mary made room in her womb for the world’s Redeemer and bore the expectation and hope of humanity. To celebrate Advent means: to become Marian." (The essay containing this phrase can be downloaded here [number 4]: http://www.laici.va/content/dam/laici/documenti/donna/teologia/english/the-sign-of-the-woman-introductory-essay-on-the-encyclical-redemptoris-mater.pdf)
- John Paul II, Rosarium Virginis Mariae:
- 11: "Mary constantly sets before the faithful the 'mysteries' of her Son, with the desire that the contemplation of those mysteries will release all their saving power."
- 13: "Mary's contemplation is above all a remembering. We need to understand this word in the biblical sense of remembrance (zakar) as a making present of the works brought about by God in the history of salvation."
Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/90378558559/videos/2458571467715002
and YouTube: https://youtu.be/YguD6xif104
To Subscribe to our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=franciscanfriars