7 Joys of the Blessed Virgin Mary – Aug 26 – Homily – Fr Alan
On the Franciscan Feast of the Seven Joys of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Aug 26, 2019), Fr. Alan enumerates the Seven Joys of the “Franciscan Crown,” the Rosary given mystically by Our Lady to a Franciscan novice who was one of her faithful devotees. Our Lady’s joys derive from her perfect union with God, and her expectant maternal joy as Mother of the Redeemed, that is, of all souls destined for eternal life.
The Seven Joys of Our Lady as prayed by the Franciscans of the Immaculate in the traditional “Franciscan Crown":
1. We rejoice with You, Mary, for the immense joy that filled Your heart at the announcement of the Archangel Gabriel.
2. We rejoice with You, Mary, for the consolation You felt in Your visit to Saint Elizabeth.
3. We rejoice with You, Mary, for the ineffable joy You felt at the birth of Jesus.
4. We rejoice with You, Mary, for the profound happiness Your heart experienced at the adoration of the Magi.
5. We rejoice with You, Mary, for the jubilation Your heart felt at finding Jesus in the Temple.
6. We rejoice with You, Mary, for the purest joy that filled Your heart when the risen Jesus appeared to You.
7. We rejoice with You, Mary, for the immense joy You had when You were assumed into heaven and there crowned Queen.*
* In the more recently composed Rosary of the Seven Joys (one of the “Three Crowns” of Our Lady), the final joy is:
“Mary Most Holy, Mother of the Church at Pentecost” (cf. The Three Crowns: The Seven Joys, the Seven Sorrows, and the Seven Glories of Mary, compiled by Jonathan and Clara Fleishmann, published by Academy of the Immaculate Books, 2013. (https://academyoftheimmaculate.com/products/the-three-crowns?_pos=1&_sid=bb9f6f724&_ss=r)
- Definition of "joy" from from Fr. John Hardon's Modern Catholic Dictionary (https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=34391)
- "The Joys of the 7-Decade Seraphic Rosary" by Angelo Stagnaro, National Catholic Register, Sept. 27, 2018 : http://www.ncregister.com/blog/astagnaro/the-joys-of-the-7-decade-seraphic-rosary
Mass: Seven Joys of the BVM - Feast
1st: Song 2:1-14
Gsp: Lk 1:26-38
More on the Readings: https://airmaria.com/r?m=1355
Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=506395286594169
and YouTube: https://youtu.be/0xjq8JJngbo
To Subscribe to our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=franciscanfriars