Video – 19 – Maternal Mediation – Mariology for Everyone
Mariology for Everyone #19 ( 25min) Play - Dr. Mark Miravalle on the Motherhood of Mary specifically her Maternal Mediation (Pope John Paul I's term) and how this refers to our understanding of the Church as a people of God.
- Meaning of Spiritual Mediation
- How it does not take away from glory of Jesus
- - Objection - 1 Tim 2:5 One mediator, Greek uses one of many
- - - condemns rival mediation not subordinate co-mediation
- Scripture - God appointed creatures mediators
- - Patriarchs - Moses - Holding up his staff during battle
- - Prophets - Giving God's messages and prophesies
- - Angels - messages
- - - St. Thomas Aquinas - Secondary mediators
- - 1 Tim 2:1 - People praying for each other
- Participation manifests God's Glory not diminishes it
- Examples of Participation
- - Baptism - participation in the life of Christ
- - Sonship - one true Son but we are adopted so we participate in this
- - High Priest - only one, Jesus, yet all are in the priesthood
- Mary uniquely participates in this mediation so uniquely manifests the glory of her Son.
This series is a complete 43 part introductory course on Mary presented by Dr. Miravalle, a theology professor specializing in Mariology, who has been teaching at the Franciscan University of Steubenville for over 25 years. General topics are as follows:
- Mary as revealed in the Sacred Scriptures, taught and explained by the Church Fathers, the Saints, and the Church's documents
- the proper ways to show childlike love and devotion to the Blessed Mother of Jesus;
- Church's official teaching on Marian apparitions over the centuries.