One Minute Meditation
The Fourth Sorrowful Mystery: THE CARRYING OF THE CROSS
- One condemned to death by crucifixion is forced to carry the cross to the place of execution.
- The suffering of Jesus is intense as the cross is laid on His bruised and wounded back and shoulders.
- Weak and exhausted from loss of blood, lack of food and rest, Jesus falls three times under the cross.
- Jesus meets His afflicted Mother causing untold anguish in the Hearts of Son and Mother.
- The countenance of Jesus is disfigured with blood and sweat, with dust and spittle.
- Veronica wipes His face, leaving on her towel the image of His countenance.
- Fearing that Jesus might die on the way, the soldiers force Simeon of Cyrene to carry the cross behind Jesus.
- Jesus speaks to weeping women; “Weep not for Me, but for yourselves and your children.”
- “If anyone is to be My disciple, let him take up his cross and follow Me.”
- Father, by the merits of this painful journey to Calvary, have mercy on us and on the whole world.