One Minute Meditation
THE CROWNING WITH THORNS
- Pilate asks, “Are You a king?” Jesus answers: “I am a King, but My kingdom is not of this world.”
- In the praetorium, the soldiers place an old purple robe on Jesus in mockery of His claim to be a king.
- They fashion a crown out of thorns, and forcefully press it down upon His head.
- In His bound hands they place a reed, as a sceptre, in mockery of His kingship.
- Kneeling before Him in derision, they spit on Him, and cry out: “Hail, King of the Jews!”
- Taking the reed from His hand they strike Him on the head, driving the thorns more deeply into His scalp.
- Pilate brings Jesus before the people, hoping His pitiful sight will soften them: “Behold the man!”
- Their response: “Crucify Him! Crucify Him!”
- Our Blessed Lord submitted to this terrible humiliation to make reparation for our pride.
- Father, by the merits of this painful humiliation, have mercy on us and on the whole world.