One Minute Meditation
THE SCOURGING AT THE PILLAR
- Jesus is taken before the High Priest where He is falsely accused, buffeted and insulted.
- The Jewish leaders take Jesus before Pilate, for only he can impose the death penalty.
- The robber, Barabbas, is preferred to Jesus.
- Pilate can “find no cause in Him”, yet to appease the Jews, he orders Jesus to be scourged.
- The scourge is made of leather thongs to which are attached small sharp bones.
- Jesus is bound to a pillar and cruelly scourged until His whole body is covered with deep wounds.
- The Lamb of God offers His suffering for the sins of mankind.
- Jesus suffers so much in His sacred flesh to satisfy, especially, for sins of the flesh.
- The prophesy of Isiah is fulfilled: “He was wounded for our iniquities, He was bruised for our sins.”
- Father, by the merits of Jesus in this painful scourging, have mercy on us and on the whole world.