The First Sorrowful Mystery
THE AGONY IN THE GARDEN
- Jesus comes with his disciples to Gethsemani: “Stay here, while I go yonder and pray.”
- Entering the garden with Peter, James, and John, Jesus prays, “My soul is sorrowful unto death.”
- Jesus sees the sins of all mankind, whose guilt He has taken upon Himself.
- He sees the wrath of the Father which His sufferings must appease.
- So great is his anguish that His sweat becomes as drops of blood falling to the ground.
- An angel appears to Him from heaven to strengthen Him.
- “Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet, not My will but Yours be done.”
- Finding the disciples asleep: “Could you not watch one hour with me?”
- Jesus is betrayed by Judas, cruelly bound and led away.
- Father, by the merits of the agony of Jesus in the Garden, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Spiritual Fruit: God’s Will be done